I consider myself to be both Pro Life and Pro Choice. I'm Pro Life because I would probably never choose to get an abortion myself and I wish that no woman ever needed one. I'm a stable person in a stable relationship with a great family/support system and money to pay for a baby should I wind up pregnant tomorrow. Oh and, small detail, I want to have kids. However, I'm Pro Choice because I don't think it's my, or anyone else's right to tell another woman what she should or shouldn't do with her body. Just because I am an extremely fortunate person doesn't mean everyone else is. Every woman has their own personal, private, and real reasons for wanting or needing and abortion, and they are entitled to them.(I suppose you have to view women as more than just a walking incubator who deserves a say in what happens to her body for this to fly.)
It's unfortunate that my way of thinking about this subject seems to be falling out of favor in the political world. No, actually it's appalling. If the multiple pending pieces of legislation out there are any indication, then politicians, (mostly republican ones,) are convinced that women are too stupid and viscous to deserve free agency over their own bodies. Have a look:
Abortion Bill Rundown
Most of those bills will likely be challenged in court, but I can't even be sure anymore if that will stop them. And what will happen when access to safe, legal abortion is removed? Well it sure won't be an end to abortions. The major issue all of these bills miss is that the only way to reduce abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. That means birth control, contraceptives, and accurate (read: non-Jesus-y) medical information. For everyone. Now.
Why can't people focus on removing the need to make such a huge choice, rather than taking that choice away?
Support Planned Parenthood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment