02 November 2010

Watching Washington Voters Fuck Themselves From Afar

Hi, Washington! I registered to vote in Oregon when I moved down here for school. Let's take a look what you guys have done while I've been gone:

Initiative 1098, which would tax rich people a little bit on income while lowering property taxes for everyone looks like it's going to fail. It would solve a decent chunk of the state's budget problem, and lower taxes for the vast majority of people voting for it, but apparently it's unacceptable for a few rich people to pay their fair share (because the way things are now, they don't).

Want to make sure the state never collects another tax dollar again? Reinstating the absurd Tim Eyman two-thirds vote requirement for tax increases will make sure that gets accomplished.* And go ahead, repeal a tax on soda, candy, and all the high-fructose-poison-shit making your kids fat. It's a "tax on food," after all.

I mostly dislike the initiative process, because in just about every instance it's money rather than the people that ends up making the decision. Not to mention that these pieces of shit haven't helped things.

But come on, Washington. Are you really this fucking stupid? If you are, you deserve to have your state collapse around you. I'll be watching from down here.**

* Because it's totally democratic for the Teabagging 34 percent of the legislature that can block tax increases to hold the whole state budget hostage.
** Not to say Oregon's festival-o-initiatives is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment