28 June 2010

Fuck You, Ted C. Barr!

I took this picture many, many months ago, but it seems like I've been seeing this ad on the back of the 8 bus all the time:

"Screw those people I might kill...If I get a DUI I'll have to ride a bus! With all the poor people!" Guess what, Ted C. Barr — I ride the bus on purpose. I don't even have any DUI convictions. Hell, I don't even drive drunk.

This is the kind of attitude people need to get over before we'll be able to have decent transit around here. Cars always seem to be treated as the default option. The state and federal governments will throw piles of cash at road projects, but if you want to raise your own local taxes so you can keep your buses running, Olympia will kindly ask you to sod off. Granted, Metro buses can be pretty unpleasant at times (and this very route is a prime example), but driving and parking a car in and around Seattle is pretty shitty in itself — and that's with our government subsidizing the hell out of the practice.

Uncle Metro isn't all bad, either. I'd pick a 20-minute, $2.25 bus trip downtown over a traffic and anger-laden drive, topped off with $2.50 per hour, impossible to find street parking, any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment